Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Rush Hour

Since I live in America with my husband and step daughter and am also finishing my degree at SFU I spend two days a week in Burnaby with my family so that I can go to school on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. On Tuesday mornings I usually wake up around 4:45am to be able to get on the road by 530am to make it to class on time. Well today I was exceptionally fast and was out the door 10 minutes earlier than expected and was excited because I was in Canada by 6:20am ( doesn’t seem like much to be excited for until you realize that every moment counts in rush hour traffic when you are trying to get from Surrey to SFU). I was happily driving along until I saw a sea of red brake lights on HWY 99, GAHHH I thought to myself, why today when I was ahead of schedule? Well I was pretty frustrated about the situations, there was an accident and it was slowing me down! Stupid drivers I thought! As I drove by the motorcyclist that was hit and still lying on the road, my thoughts quickly changed to those of shock, sadness and thankfulness that it wasn’t me or that I hadn’t hit another person with my car. I drove pass this motorist soon after the accident happened and it probably took me about 30 minutes to go 1000 meters but as I was listening to radio reports traffic only got worse in that area, I wondered to myself that had I left at my normal time my time stuck in grid lock would have been exceptionally worse. Once I finally cleared the area and was over the bridge I realized that it was pretty foolish of me to be annoyed over a 30 minute inconvenience when God so clearly has everything in his hands. I wasn’t lying there on the pavement and I wasn’t late for school yet my selfish nature told me to be angry and annoyed that I would be disrupted on my drive. As I drove into my schools parking lot, early enough to get a spot at a reduced rate I was glad that I was given a gentle reminder about my attitude and perception over situations that are out of my control. I am grateful to know the GOD who loves me enough to set me straight, even on the little things.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, I've had these thoughts before. And am always glad to be reminded that it is God who is in control.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE MRS HANSEN
    LOVE, MR. HANSEN

    ReplyDelete

I love comments just like I love chocolate, so if you can give me one its like giving me the other